I really don’t have a plan of what this post is about; I just felt like writing.
I got my labs done a few days ago. Thyroid panel, vitamin panel, CBC, cholesterol, etc (no A1c, I already did that last month). The point of all these labs were to check my general health, check how well my thyroid meds are working, check for Hashimoto’s (a thyroid disease), and check to see if there is an obvious reason for my excessive sleepiness.
All, the entire order of labs, came back within normal healthy levels.
I should be happy, right?
Nothing is ever simple with my health…
Yes, I am happy that my labs say I am generally healthy…
Then why am I so damned sleepy all the time!?
I’ve had this problem with excessive sleepiness for about three years now. At first it was attributed to severe depression. Medication and therapy put the depression in it’s place, but I still felt sleepy all the time but in a different way. The depression left me both physically and mentally drained. This chronic sleepiness is only “mental”. It’s like a drowsiness.
When I developed my thyroid issues the symptoms became physical and mental again. Weakness, tiredness, fatigue, and drowsiness. I started thyroid medication and once again the physical symptoms disappeared but the mental remains.
- I sleep about 12 hours a night and then usually take a 3 hour nap during the day. When I am awake I often feel restless.
- I sleep ‘normal’ for me (just way more hours). My entire life I have been a toss-and-turner, waking several times a night but falling right back to sleep. I dream extremely vivid. My sleep is restful and usually pleasant.
- Although I used to be a light sleeper, easily wakened, I recently have on occasion been sleeping so deep it is difficult to wake me. I’m worried about this.
- No matter what, I am ALWAYS sleepy. If I nap, I can then function despite still feeling sleepy. If I force myself to stay awake I become like a zombie and can not function well at all; the next day I will end up literally sleeping the entire day.
- When I first wake in the morning my body is stiff and sore and I am unsteady on my feet, but once I start walking I quickly loosen up and get steady. My mind takes much longer to begin to function properly, I don’t think clearly, I don’t feel awake and aware, trouble remembering things. It’s almost like I am still dreaming.
- I usually fall asleep as soon as my head hits pillow, but about once or twice a month I get insomnia that lasts anywhere from 2 hours to the entire night.
These symptoms do not coincide with any medications I am taking, so I don’t think this is a side effect of any of them. Also, my doctors do not seem to think this is a symptom or result of any of my illnesses.
I have been tested for sleep apnea and do not have it. I am wondering if it might be Idiopathic Hypersomnia or Narcolepsy, but I really need to see a sleep specialist to figure it out…if it is a sleep disorder and not caused by something else.
Why do I always get all the chronic illnesses that breed so many other problems?